Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh what fun it is...

I have had a few exciting events over the last two weeks: I had my first encounter with Roscoe's House of Chicken'N'Waffles, I successfully finished my NaNoWriMo writing dash, and I moved out of my parents' house.

First off--Roscoe's was everything I had hoped for and then some. I wasn't sure what to expect, really, except that I could eat chicken at the same time as waffles. I think I imagined a sort of fast food place like In'N'Out where there were only two main things on the menu--chicken and/or waffles. So when I went to the Roscoe's on Pico in LA with some friends, I was surprised to see it was a sit-down place very similar to Denny's. I was surprised to see that the menu had many choices, only one of which actually combined chicken and waffles. And even though I'd been told about it before, I was still a little surprised to be the only white girl there. But the food was good, the atmosphere was fun, and the company was great. So overall, Roscoe's made me happy.

Next--I was a NaNoWriMo winner! Which doesn't mean I've completed a novel, actually...but I've got about a 50,000 word start on one. I posted a sample of it. Feel free to either read or ignore. I have every intension to finish the novel eventually (though I'll be deleting the last thousand words since it was just a temporary ending. The highlight was the very end...by November 28th I had about 35,000 words, so I had to write 7,500 words two days in a row. I didn't know I could even come up with that much to write in one day. But of course, we were going for quantity, not so much quality.

Last--I have officially moved to Newport Beach, CA. Here's our front room, complete with the cat that doesn't like me. I'm super excited because (a) it means I'm not living with the 'rents anymore, and (b) I can get settled in before starting work next month. I've been here about a week now. I've unpacked all my stuff, I've met a few people, and I've taken my first bike ride on the beach. It's starting to really feel like home here--One more month to find my way around and/or get lost, and to make friends, before busy season swallows me whole.


And here's my lovely room, complete with sister, previous roommate's furniture, and current roommate's fiance (he was the first person I met in the area; all the roommates were out visiting people when we came by so the fiance gave my sister and me the grand tour).