Thursday, July 21, 2011

Visiting Teaching!

Last post tonight, I promise. Last post for a while, actually, as work will be picking up again soon.

So another thing that happened while I was in Denver--I was asked to be president of the ladies organization (called Relief Society) in my local congregation. I've had a good amount of time to think about the responsibility on my shoulders. In accepting, I've agreed to serve as an example of trying to live according to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've agreed to be a ready friend to every single woman in our congregation--to those who do come every week, as well as to those I've never met. I've agreed to help shoulder their burdens and to do all I can to help them. Essentially, I've agreed to walk in the footsteps of my hero and Savior.

One of the ways that I get to help make sure that the sisters are cared for is to visit a handful of them each month and to share or teach them a lesson. It's a system of watching over each other and making sure that our needs are met; it's known as "visiting teaching." I love it, because it's a chance for me to visit sisters that maybe I never would have met otherwise; it's a chance for me to build trust with these sisters and to learn what I can do to help them. It's a chance to learn to love people I may have not even known for a month. 

I wish I had more time, so I could visit every sister in our congregation. Since I don't have quite enough time for that each week or even each month, I love that the sisters in our congregation were all assigned visiting teachers so they can each find out how the other sisters are doing, and let me and others know how the branch can help need their needs. 

I respect all religions and I am grateful that we may choose to follow the example of our Savior Jesus Christ. I know that our Savior love each of us which is why He died for us--to help us come back to Him, and to help us through the many struggles we will be facing throughout our lives. I know that the Bible and the Book of Mormon are both the word of God, and I know that when I put into practice the principles they teach, I am happier, more relaxed and much more at peace. I love that I have been able to grow up as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and learn more and more about my Savior. 

And I love being able to share the gospel with the sisters that I visit teach.



2 comments:

Camile Kellogg said...

Oh my!! You have had a lot of adventures lately :) You'll be a great RS president to your girls! I'm excited for you. Love, Camile

THE SLADES said...

you will do such an amazing job! and i am jealous of all your many adventures