Monday, August 29, 2011

Busy Season: The Refresher Course

Often when we take a subject in school (or rather, when I used to do that whole school thing) we'll gain sufficient mastery over the material and benefit from that knowledge, but eventually we begin to forget a few things. Hence the refresher course.

At the beginning of the year I learned quite a few things while working long hours, but it turns out I needed a refresher course because I'd forgotten some of them. My firm graciously accepted my need for the refresh and gave me the chance to brush up and sharpen those skills I' learned in the winter, such as the following:


  • Murphy's Law--if you don't check to make sure a food order is complete, the most senior person on the job will end up without food.
  • One can never bring back too much hot sauce. Or any sauce.
  • Going home before sunset is for sissies.
  • All those things you thought of as necessities are actually optional (socializing, grocery shopping, laundry, bathing, etc).
  • Changing straight from work clothes to pajamas is a move toward efficiency (as long as you do it at home). Jeans are overrated anyway.
  • Your Facebook feed is only interesting the first time you scan it.
  • A watched blogger doesn't blog.
  • Pressure makes any work more interesting.
  • Auditors, when left unattended, may develop cabin fever. At any sign of cabin fever, be sure to increase your computer-locking vigilance, lest you be Hasslehoffed* or otherwise pranked.
  • As the audit-time continuum progresses, the number of sodas consumed by an audit team will increase exponentially.

I did learen a few more impacting things, though:

  • Having a light at the end of the tunnel helps morale immensely. During this last audit, we worked 55+ hours each week, but that was going to last only 4 to 6 weeks; I had the added carrot of a two-week vacation at the end of the long hours, and that especially helped me focus during work. 
  • Taking time during the month before the audit to mentally prepare myself for working all day definitely helped; when the work started and the hours became long, I was ready for it. Getting home with enough time to sleep 7 or 8 hours each night especially helped me cope.
  • Physically preparing to have (almost) no free time also helped--getting in doctors visits, car repairs, and shopping done the weeks before the audit started was hugely helpful.
  • Making a priority of personal things I wanted to do each day helped me make sure to do them. 
That last one included sleeping, making a good breakfast for myself, packing food I would want to eat during the day (instead of delicious snacks I knew I could get but shouldn't eat), doing my physical therapy homework (oh bruised patella, please heal!), and especially spending time reading the Bible and the Book of Mormon. I've noticed a distinct and direct correlation between the days I spend solid reading time with the scriptures and the days I'm more calm and patient at work--and just better able to handle problems in general. That, I think, has been the biggest takeaway--that even when I'm super busy all the time, taking time to read scriptures will help my day go by so much better than whatever else I thought I could spend that time on. I've learned that no matter what else I do or don't do in the day, taking time to read in the morning will have the biggest impact on how I feel and how I handle my problems, or how I handle other people (though sometimes those two things are synonymous).



1 comment:

Merry said...

Wow, sounds grueling! Good for you for preparing ahead of time.