Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pool Runnings

So I got to do a 10K mud run in June (which I walked a good chunk of, for the record). Afterward I tried to keep up with the new and improved exercise regime, and I got up to a 5 mile run the week before Independence day this year--but then my knees started hurting every time I walked up or down stairs (and if you've been to my current home...well, it's pretty much all stairs. We have four levels in our home). Eventually, I went to see a doctor, who decided that because he couldn't see anything else wrong and because I felt pain on stairs, I must have bruised the underside of my patella.

So, I have bruised kneecaps.

I'm supposed to do physical therapy, and I'm supposed to refrain from running. And since I've been working on a June 30 year-end client, I'm pretty much refraining from all exercise. Finally last night, my roommate Erin and I decided to give the exercise thing another try. Only, I couldn't run, and she didn't have a bike, so we headed to the pool. We did pretty good swimming for a bit, but then my bruised patellas made themselves known. So we then started jogging in the pool. Maybe not the most exercise I've ever had, but I was impressed nonetheless--it was just the right amount of exercise for someone who's been a bum for a while. The whole troupe of teenagers that was sharing the pool with us probably thought we were a little crazy--but that's okay. We probably are. At any rate I've found something relatively fun to do that I can tell myself is a form of exercise.

1 comment:

Merry said...

I've heard that this is a great form of exercise when you have any kind of injury. Hope you get better!