Thursday, May 5, 2011

Early to bed, early to rise, eat all your veggies and throw out your pies.

Busy season left a lasting impression on me for a few reasons, but one of its hopefully delible repercussions was making my pants too small. I think my clothes all got together and decided that they would play a joke on me. Since things have settled down, I've been eating better and sleeping better. And I've learned a couple things:

1. It's not my body that craves those brownies. Turns out, my body's pretty chill as long as it's fed and watered.
2. When I'm used to not eating sugar all the time and I do have a craving for something sweet, I can have a taste and that satisfies me.
3. My mind is my body's worst enemy. Especially when I'm grouchy. All I want on those days is chocolate. But as it turns out, because it's not something my body (or mind) actually needs, my body (and mind) aren't just satisfied with a bite or two.
4. When I'm sleeping at consistent times and getting up at consistent times, I start feeling something I haven't felt in years. I feel awake! It's a totally different feeling...I think I can get used to it.
5. When I'm not tired, I don't crave junk food. My mind doesn't crave it and my body doesn't want it. And life goes on, my pants get looser, I'm less crabby, and everyone is happy.
6. Contrary to common belief (well, my commonly held belief), I can get out there and exercise. And while it hurts, it starts to hurt less and feel better every time I go.

I guess what I've really learned is that the human body's pretty amazing. And that I, as the driver of the body, would do a lot better to just sleep when I'm tired, drink when I'm thirsty, eat when I'm hungry, and get out and exercise...my body likes it. But my mind's not always sold. So in the end, what I've been needing is a change of mindset and regime. And common sense.

2 comments:

* said...

I always see those 5 hour energy commercials and wonder "Have they tried getting adequate sleep?"

Jared W. said...

You always preach such hard doctrine. But I do love the fact that you are all sorts of awake. Good work.