Monday, May 9, 2011

Odds and ends. And evens.

While I was in Bolivia about five or six years ago, I was teamed up with a girl from Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Some time while we were together, I learned that she was biased against odd numbers. She only liked even-numbered things. I thought that was a really strange preference to have.

Well, it turns out, I'm the same way. My favorite years of age were 24, 26, 18, 14, 10...my favorite years in school were 8th, 2nd, 12th...my favorite straight-up years include 2002 and 2010 (though it didn't hurt that I graduated in both those years. Except maybe that was fate). But it's not just that those are all my favorites; it also happens that I disliked 2003, 2005 was maybe the hardest year of my life, my 7th grade year was probably the worst school year ever (except maybe in 5th grade when the kid who was my desk buddy refused to sit next to me. I guess I was ugly or something). (Oh, there was also first grade. That was a bad year too...I got yelled at by my teacher for talking in class so when I really needed to go to the bathroom I was too scared to ask permission to go...and my mom had to bring me new clothes to change into.)

There are lots of other even-numbered things I like, and plenty of odd-numbered things I don't like. And some things I can't make up my mind about (for example: do I have four toes, or five? Do I like my toes, or not?). I guess the only thing I really have discovered is that I shouldn't laugh at other peoples' preferences, because they may be contagious.

4 comments:

BJ said...

Great. I say four toes, and I super like them.

Jared W. said...

I've always been an odd number fan myself. Sorry I ruined your 25th year. I was really hoping to turn things around for you, but that really didn't work out did it?

Jeff said...

The even numbered Star Trek movies are the good ones, so you may have something going there.

Sadie said...

I'm an odd girl myself (in more ways than one). My favorite numbers are 3, 7, 11, and any number containing those numbers in any combination. My favorite age was 9, favorite grades were 3rd and 5th. My birthday is on the 11th. And I met Jared W. in 2005.